- Nursing stimulates uterine contractions that help prevent hemorrhaging and return the uterus to its normal size.
- Breast milk is convenient and economical; it is sterile, portable, and always the right temperature.
- Nursing promotes a special kind of mother-infant bonding.
- Breast-fed babies have fewer infection. The benefits extend beyond childhood; studies show that people who were breast-feed have a reduced incidence of obesity,diabetes, asthma, heath disease, and some types of cancer.
- Breast milk may protect infanst with a strong family history of allergy from developing one.
- Women who breast-feed have a reduced risk of premenopausal breast cancer and postmenopausal osteoporosis (loss of bone mass.
If giving breast milk, enough for weight gain and to yeild regular soft stools and 6 or more wet diapers a day. If giving formula, 2 - 4 oz (60 - 120ml ) per feeding (every 2 -4 hours)